May 12, 2011
by Christi Borden
Mendel Elementary Donations for Tornado Victims
Wow, what a fast and furious few days since this effort was first proposed. Collections continue to come into the many drop off sites around the City of Houston and surrounding suburban areas.
Calls in to the drop off points show a very enthusiastic and generous outpouring of love along with necessary items for our friends in Alabama who are today without everything they held so dear due to the terrible storms.
Quick mention that our first truck is headed east on Monday and will be hitting the pick up locations as early as tomorrow (Katy location to be specific along with other spots). If you are planning to give and want to make the first relief transport, please consider doing so by tomorrow. If you need more time, do not worry. We have another truck in the works.
I wanted to post the photo above sent to me from Kathleen Cox, Principal of Mendel Elementary in the Aldine School District. Her team of dedicated staff members and her students gathered up this wonderful gift of much-needed school supplies and will be dropping this off at one of our receiving stations today or tomorrow. To Principal Cox, her Staff and Students… I know your gift will be very welcome and you will put a smile on the face of many students and their teachers in the stricken areas.
Do you have something you wish to give? Help us help them!
Thank you all for everything you have done… and you know who you are:).
May 12, 2011
We found a dog and we would like to appeal for your help in finding the owner. Attached is his picture and the text is as follows:
Sweet Dog Found in Cinco Ranch!
On May 11 we found this cute little dog at our front door. It is small, male, light brown colored and seems to miss his owners a lot. We live in Sedona, a neighborhood within Cinco Ranch Southwest, near the intersection between Spring Green Blvd. and South Fry Road. My mobile phone is (832) 596-4908.
Carlos Elmer Ferro
May 11, 2011
by Christi Borden
Shakespeare's Philosophy for Life
Shakespeare said: I always feel happy, You know why? Because I don’t expect
anything from anyone, Expectations always hurt.. .Life is short… So love
your life… Be happy… And Keep smiling… Just Live for yourself and:
- Before you speak »Listen
- Before you write »Think
- Before you spend »Earn
- Before you pray »Forgive
- Before you hurt »Feel
- Before you hate »Love
- Before you quit »Try
- Before you die »Live
This is my personal philosophy for life and my secret to happiness.
This was shared on Facebook today so I do not claim to be the author. Thank you, Bill-Necmettin Erbil – wherever you are!
May 7, 2011
German Shepherd Needs a Home!
The amazing people fostering this lovely pup unfortunately cannot keep her and may need to take her to a shelter. We would love to place her so that does not happen.
Do you know of someone who would love to welcome this sweetie into their home? Per Foster parents: She’s absolutely adorable – very loving and playful. She doesn’t bite or even nip. She doesn’t seem to be afraid of people or loud noises or anything like that. Last night she slept right through the night with no problem at all. I have attached a photo so that everyone can see how sweet she is. I hope we can find a home for her.
May 4, 2011
- Dog found near Creech Elementary in Katy, TX.
by Christi Borden
This charming yellow lab mix male was found behind Creech Elementary in Katy, Tx in the community of Cinco Ranch. Are you missing your boy? Please contact Beth at 716-632-1016.
This is always a good time to remind everyone that installing a chip in your pet is painless for them and could save a life time of pain for you should they get lost. Please forward this to your friends so we can find his mom and dad.
May 3, 2011
The Houston Real Estate Community is coming together to help the Alabama Victims of the recent Tornado. We will have an 18-wheeler and driver deliver all donations to the storm victims in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Please help us help them!
The following items are needed order of priority:
- Bottled Water
- Hand Sanitizer & wipes
- Paper plates, utensils and napkins
- Canned food (including baby food)
- New underwear (men’s, women’s, teen’s and children)
- Diapers (both for infants and adults)
- Folding Chairs
- Clothing & Shoes
- Bedding, towels, wash cloths
DROP OFF LOCATION:
- Century 21 Hardee-Team Realty, 30310 Tomball Parkway Tomball TX 77375
- *Prudential Gary Greene – 23922 Cinco Village Center, Suite 123, Katy TX
- RE/MAX Hometown 7214 FM 1488, Suite 105, Magnolia, TX 77354
- Prudential Gary Greene 18477 W. Lake Houston Parkway, Suite 50, Humble, TX 77346
- Princeton Classic Homes 18018 Darling Point Drive, Cypress, TX 774…29
- Keller Williams Pearland – 2734 Sunrise Blvd., Suit 208, Pearland TX 77584
- Realty World First Choice 18121 FM 306 Canyon Lake, TX. 78133
- RE/MAX Integrity – RE/MAX Integrity.19510 Kuykendahl , Spring TX
- Keller Williams Professionals 8101 Cypresswood Drive, Spring TX
- Great American Title (Galleria), 1535 West Loop South #115, Houston, Texas 77027
- Texas American Title – 4610 Sweetwater Blvd. #100, Sugarland, TX 77479
- Texas American Title – 2000 Bering 10th floor, Houston, TX 77057
- Startex Title Hwy 6 N. 8711 Hwy 6 N.,Houston, Texas 77095
- Register Real Estate /advisors – 1614 Louetta Rd. – Spring, TX 77388
- Prudential Gary Greene – 1939 W Gray St # 100, Houston, TX 77019
*For those of you near Katy, TX, our drop off location is: Prudential Gary Greene – 23922 Cinco Village Center, Suite 123, Katy Monday – Saturday (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Sunday (12:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
Call me if you need directions – 832-372-7470. We thank you so much for your donations… it will make a difference in the lives of those affected by the recent storms.
May 2, 2011
by Christi Borden
As promised, this is my version of Risotto Milanese or Milan-style. What makes it Milan-style? I believe it is the addition of Saffron and cheese but perhaps someone wiser than me can answer that question. Regardless, this is my version and I stand by it.
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic, (minced)
- 1 Cup Abrorio Rice (there is no substitute)
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock (homemade is best but Swanson’s will do)
- 1/2 Bottle Dry Italian White Wine (again, use a quality that you would drink. If it is not good enough to drink, it is not good enough to cook with).
- Pinch of Saffron (expensive but worth it)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated, not the sawdust stuff in the green bottle)
- 1 TBS Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
First, Combine stock and wine in a microwave container and heat for 5 minutes. The secret to successful Risotto is adding heated liquids to the rice as you go along instead of shocking the rice with cold liquids and not fully releasing the starches that make this dish so deliciously smooth and delightful.
Second, heat oil over medium/high and saute garlic and shallots for 1 minute (careful not to burn garlic). Add dry rice and saffron, and stir for about 30 seconds to warm and to coat with oil.
Now, the magic of risotto begins: Add enough liquid to cover rice by about 1/2 inch, and constantly stir over medium heat until liquid is almost gone. Continue adding more liquid and stirring mixture until rice is al dente (gives slightly when biting but almost cooked through) and creamy. This takes about 20 minutes or so.
Helpful Hint: I stir about every minute so grab a book and the glass of chilled wine and hunker down. If you walk way and do not stir properly, you will not be happy with the results and may burn your rice. Believe me, the results are worth the effort here.
After rice has reached the perfect consistency, remove from heat and add cheese, butter and salt (check for this as the cheese, butter and stock all add salt so it may not be necessary) and fresh black pepper to taste.
There, your Risotto is done and is the perfect dish to serve as you would pasta or potatoes. I sometimes add baby bello mushrooms to this dish but it will change the color and flavor to create a delicious but less delicate side.
I hope you enjoy this as it has become a family favorite!